"Do you have any plans for sunday?"
Before I could say anything, dad continued
"just make sure that you're home this weekend. Some guests might come"
And I could guess what was it. Oh no ... please I hate this. I don't want this, really.
Anyway, I didn't want to talk about this to my dad at that moment. Because I knew that he too knew I didn't want this and he'll make sure that the right thing happens.
But then I was thinking why did he have to arrange a meeting at home? And why did he have to tell me to be home on sunday 3 days in advance, It was only Thursday today.
Whatever, I got ready and left for office.
[saturday]
It was evening when I was playing roadrash at my home PC and my brother came to me and said:
"Some people are coming tomorrow morning, or may be afternoon. You need not worry... no one is serious about it. Dad told them that you don't want it. But those guys were adamant and they wanted to come. They met us through one of our close relatives and we don't want to be rude on their face. So just be cool, talk to them and forget it. We'll make it clear that you're not ready. And things end there"
"Alright", I said. My brother could guess that I was irritated. But he didn't say anything and left.
[sunday]
Morning I don't know why but I woke up at 7 O'Clock and that was too early for me on a sunday morning. Somehow wasn't willing to sleep anymore. I went to the terrace and sat beside by naughty neice who was trying to perform yoga by immitating my father, and I was laughing at her. She's too much a kid to be able to do those asanas.
I was looking at the flower pots when I heard my mom saying:
"Tea is ready. All of you come down to the hall", She had just walked over to the terrace.(Expand\Collapse...)
My niece ran down the stairs. Not for tea, but for her special drink my mom prepares for her. Not sure what it is, never inquired, really.
As I entered the house, my mom said:
"Look what your bhabhi is saying"
"What?"
"She says how come you got so early today? After all its sunday. So does that mean anything?"
"hmm.." I just ignored and smiled.
Dad interrupted, smelling that a fire could break out if this teasing continued. He also understood well that it was my bhabhi who teased that's why I am calm - as I respect her much not to react on these stuff. But if this was from him or mom, I would have probably already reacted wildly. This had happened a couple of times earlier with my mom and dad and later I regretted it. But then they also realized that I am not even ready for jokes on all these matters.
Well, we had tea and then the breakfast. I watched TV for sometime and played with my niece for some more.
"Could you call them up and ask where are they at the moment or by what time they expect to reach? If they are coming at lunch time then I'll have to prepare for them too" Mom asked dad.
Dad talked to someone over the phone and came back to mom.
"They aren't coming before lunch. But I still hope that they'll be here by 2.30 in the afternoon" so get everyone to have lunch by that time, and not like usual late-sunday-lunch"
"Alright", Mom said
Thank god they are not coming any sooner, I was happy. But hey, that doesn't mean they aren't coming at all. And they are coming in the afternoon when I was planning to sleep after lunch as i already woke up early today. Oh god, this sucks.
[afternoon]
We were done with lunch and I was chatting with my bhabhi when the door bell rang.
Oh man, they are here. Now, I am not getting out of this room. Think that I don't exist anymore.
And my dad started chatting with the guys. I figured out from there voices that it must be at least 3 or may be 4 of them. C'mon man, why do they need to come in batallions for this purpose? Am I a sight-seeing place?
I just laid down on the bed and caught sleep.
I was sleeping like am in paradise when my brother's voice woke me up:
"Those guys want to talk to you for some time. Come to the hall"
Shit man, I don't want to "showcase" me.
Well, but I had no option and had to go out. I went to the bathroom, washed my face, combed my hair carelessly enough as i certainly didn't want to look good.
"Namaste" I said to those people and and sat down on the sofa.
God knows what all I have to go through now.
My parents expected me to behave well, as they really thought that I might screw up their reputation so I was all bearing it.
"So, what job do you do?" The guy right in front of me asked.
Ah... what a dumb question. He has come here for this thing and doesn't event know that? C'mon, it can't be. And when he knows that, why does he need to ask that again.
"I am into software. i work at ----- with ----------", I answered.
"With what?" he didn't get the company name.
"----------" I said again.
"didn't get you right"
You moron. How many times do I need to tell you.
"its - - - - - - - - - -", I had to actually spell it out.
"Okay, I got it"
"Is it an Indian company?"
"Its based in US. Fairfax."
"But I heard that it's a sister concern of HCL. Isn't that right?"
Bloody hell, he even knows the origins of my company. And still wanted me to tell that I work there.
"It merged with a US company some 2-3 years back. Originally it was indian and its name was different." I clarified.
"Okay, so what kind of job you exactly do?"
"I am into development"
"Development... hmmm.. so what do you develop?"
C'mon man. I am into software and into development so it would be software development only man. You expect automobile engineering out of a software professional or what ? (Okay I am not considering embedded systems here)
"Well, I develop software applications", was my obvious reply.
"I am not getting it. What does this development exactly involve?" he asked again. "Is it that you guys make some sort of computer parts or something"
Oh my god, take me to heaven or hell but get me outta here.. this guy is killing me. I was almost pulling my hairs out. When this guy has come to meet me, at least he could have gathered some basic information about me. How could he be so dumb?
I don't mean to say that i expect every person of the world to know what software development means. A person of this age might very well find it difficult to understand the concept. But my only point is, when he travelled with 3 other guys all the way long to meet me, he could have at least got his basics right.
"I am a programmer. I develop applications which mortgage banks can use to approve or deny a loan to a borrower. And it's for the UK mortgage market and .... blah blah blah" And then I stopped. Dunno if he got any of those, but then he seemed to be convinced.
"Btw, I have a doubt. I mean just a general query. A thing I haven't been able to figure out yet. So thought would ask you. May be that you know"
"Yes. tell me"
"What is the difference between a Pentium Dual Core CPU and the new Core 2 Duo CPU of Intel?"
What? What the hell was that? C'mon man... I am not the person to answer this. You want me tell the difference in the number of pins each CPU has? or the difference in their bus speeds? Or the clock ratio? Or whether, how many capacitors and transistors those ICs equivalently represent? Moreover, if I was able to tell all that, would you be able to understand even the least of it?
But I had to answer, after all.
"They are essentially the same in the sense that they both act like two different CPUs when they physically seem to be one. At the simplest level, I can say the Core 2 Duo is newer than the pentium dual core CPU"
"No no no... it can't be that. There must be something more to it."
C'mon chap, I know there is much more to it. You want me to google it out and print the "I am feeling lucky" page for you? What the hell do you want man, just get outta here... I didn't know you're here for some technical interview.
Ah.. I wished I could, but obviously couldn't say all that. So I continued a bit more politely...
"No, I just meant that Core 2 Duo is an improvement. Is an advanced version, let's say" And made a plastic smile.
"Aaaaahh... I get that, Now I get that. It is indeed an advanced version. Now I understood"
What? What the f*k was that? You find the word "advanced" as a convincing difference. Oh my god, this is pathetic. I wish i knew the tactics earlier. God, could you give me the power to read these guys mind for some time. It'll save me a lot of... you know what.... - I prayed to god, but god never listens to us at the right time.
Whatever, the guys continued.
"So how much experience you have in the field"
"- yrs and -- months"
"Okay. And I how much you make"
I make enough to fill my stomach and meet upto my parents daily needs. That's all you're supposed to know. I am not here to feed you. Neither are you going to give me a new job that I can tell you my salary and expect a 30% hike.
Again, I had to be gentle. So I said:
"-.-- lakhs per annum"
"Okay. That's pretty good at this age."
"Hmm" Another plastic smile.
"These days salaries are pretty good. We guys spent our whole lives to get that much" The other guy was now chatting with my father. And then they started chatting about the old days and stuff.
C'mon buddy, run away.. what are you waiting for.
But no.. I knew that I would have to wait.
My mom peeped through the gaps of the curtain and told something to dad.
Dad turned to me and said:
"You can continue doing what you were"
Sigh.. I immediately jumped off the chair and rushed into my bhabhi's room where she and my mom were chatting.
"What a torture" I said and laid down on the bed again. I was tickling my neice. She was sleeping.
My bhabhi laughed at my comment when mom asked her to keep it low as the voice would be clearly audible to the guests. Mom too giggled, btw.
"So how was it? You loved talking to them" bhabhi asked. And laughed again.
"C'mon bhabhi.. you heard what questions those nuts were asking? ufff... not again please. Not again, seriously"
"So what are his thoughts at the moment. Is he fine with this stuff?" I heard one of the guys asking. Obviously, it was put to my dad.
"Well, not very much in fact." And my dad went on to explain. And I was happy with his answer.
Some more time passed and it was about quarter past four when those guys left. I had a sigh of relief, really.
Well, there was one question still popping up within my mind, but I preferred not to ask anyone:
Out of those four, who was the girl's father?
7 comments:
I am lucky that i have never been through such experience. :) But after reading your blog i realized that boys are lucky in this aspect that we don't need to face such situations too often and even if we face we can virtually say "Fck Off" to the guy sitting in front of us. But it must be really tough for girls. Its also wierd how people think that they can judge someone by asking few questions. I mean, its not fair at all. Anyway it was a good experience to read the blog and i seriously hope that i dont need to face such situation. (My patience may not be as good as yours :) :) )
Jaldi hi mere yaar ki shaadi hai .. oo mere yaar ki shaadi hai .. mere dost ki shaadi hai ...
Yeh Maverick koun hai be ...
Abe unlog ladka dekhna aaye the to intel chips ke baare main kyun puuch rahe the..lekin sach main is se andaza lagta hai ki ladkiyon ko kitni takliff hoti hogi .
@maverick, ashish
it really depends how does the family head takes it forward. I have two sisters who got married but they had seen their then-would-be-in-laws only when everything else seemed right. And when they had seen them, it was the boy (and now, my jijaji) who talked more than anyone else. And it does make sense, going by the way arranged marriage goes. My dad was sure enough that he does not want to let his daughters meet anyone just like that.
There were people who first wanted see the girl before proceeding, and my dad rather preferred not to take the matter ahead at all. It took a really really long time for my elder sister's marriage to get arranged. Luck wasn't with us. It took 3 yrs to get the right guy in fact. But it was only one guy who she had met and who she is happily married to today. My other sister's marriage arrangement didn't take more than a few months time. She saw only two guys. With first guy, it was almost done but then there were some last moment hitches that didn't make it so that is acceptable.
My brother got married two years back and my dad had always insisted that he was not going to see the girl before his son does. Well, but there were people who wanted to showcase their daughters before anything else happens. Fools.
And here in my case, these guys were very well told that am not ready for marriage until next two years. But these nuts wanted to come at any cost. Now we can't rage a war against them. But dad gave them a reply good enough that they never asked again.
I believe parents should be mature enough to handle such situations and i am lucky that my parents are.
And with girls, if their parents don't understand these things, then its definitely a problem.
@ashish
saale jyada gaana mat ga na samjha na. btw, by now i guess you know who maverick is. else check his profile. you'll get the name :)
And for those intel chips, i really won't say that he did anything wrong by asking that. When we are not aware of other people's work we may ask some unrelated questions. Moreover, sometimes we assume that since the guy is related to the field, so may be he knows. This attitude is acceptable as long as it is with this attitude only. Things get irritating when people just don't put it in the right way. Honestly, i haven't described the whole conversation here, for some reason.
There was a point when I clearly told them that i am not into this field and have no idea more that than (when i actually had, anyway). But they still insisted and wanted me to give some more information. That was so annoying that I literally wanted to tell them "Get your butt outta here you dumbos".
Post a Comment